Ankylosing Spondylitis: Introduction FeedbackA general introduction to Ankylosing Spondylitis.Source: Clinical Knowledge Summaries, 01 Feb 2013
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease of unknown cause and varying clinical presentation. The principal features (not all of which are present at onset, or in all people) are:
Inflammatory low back pain, (pain and stiffness worse at night and in the morning).
Inflammation of the spinal joints and the junction (enthesis) of the intervertebral spinal ligaments and vertebrae, leading (after many years) to ankylosis (i.e. fusion from fibrosis and calcification).
Inflammation of the sacroiliac joints (on X-ray or other radiological imaging such as MRI), which presents as alternating buttock pain.
Enthesitis (inflammation of the sites where tendons and ligaments attach to bone), costochondritis (inflammation where cartilage joins the ribs), and epicondylitis (inflammation of an epicondyle of bone).
Arthritis of peripheral joints, usually involving the large joints of the lower limbs, or asymmetric arthritis of peripheral joints.
Insidious onset (over a period of at least 3 months, and often several years) usually beginning in late adolescence or early adulthood.
Association with the human leukocyte antigen B27 (HLA-B27).
Ankylosing spondylitis is not uncommon:
About 2% of people in a general practice will present with back pain and up to 5% of these will show features of ankylosing spondylitis.
It is about three times more common in men than women.
It most commonly begins between 20 and 30 years of age, but also occurs in children and older adults.
Common complications include:
Progressive involvement of the lumbar, thoracic, and cervical spine, leading to a fixed and flexed posture.
Damage to peripheral joints.
Anterior uveitis (iritis).
If ankylosing spondylitis is suspected:
The presence of inflammation should be confirmed with erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), and/or C-reactive protein (CRP), and full blood count (FBC) tests.
Local referral protocols should be followed on imaging the sacroiliac joints and spine, or specialist advice sought on imaging before referral. In well-established cases, radiographs of the sacroiliac joints and spine are diagnostic. Magnetic resonance imaging can detect early changes in sacroiliac joints. Ultrasound scanning can confirm a clinical impression of enthesitis.
Referral to a rheumatologist should be arranged.
Treatment should be started with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).
Treatments available from rheumatologists for ankylosing spondylitis include:
For sacroiliitis: injection of corticosteroids.
For enthesitis (inflammation where bone joins tendon or ligament): injection of corticosteroids.
For uncontrolled disease in general: tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha inhibitors such as etanercept and adalimumab or oral or intravenous bisphosphonates.
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Guidance FeedbackThe most relevant search results for Ankylosing Spondylitis from producers of guidance information.
Information for the public
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Information for the public FeedbackThe most relevant search results for Ankylosing Spondylitis, from Department of Health accredited producers of patient information.
- Bupa , 14 November 2012
- NHS Choices, 25 June 2012
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 24 August 2011
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 24 August 2011
TA143 Ankylosing spondylitis - adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab: understanding NICE guidance [PDF]National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 28 May 2008
TA143 Ankylosing spondylitis - adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab: understanding NICE guidance (MS Word format)National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 28 May 2008
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Ongoing Research FeedbackThe most relevant search results for Ankylosing Spondylitis, from research trials.
Examination of Radiographic Progression, Efficacy and Safety of Long-Term Treatment With Infliximab in Patients With Ankylosing SpondylitisUK Clinical Trials Gateway, 10 October 2005
- UK Clinical Trials Gateway, 22 September 2010
Efficacy at 16 Weeks and Long Term Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability up to 5 Years of Secukinumab in Patients With Active Ankylosing SpondylitisUK Clinical Trials Gateway, 20 July 2012
Efficacy at 16 Weeks and Long Term Safety, Tolerability and Efficacy up to 2 Years of Secukinumab (AIN457) in Patients With Active Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)UK Clinical Trials Gateway, 19 May 2011
- UK Clinical Trials Gateway, 29 January 2010
Descriptive Study in Patients Treated With Vimovo™, Including Registration of the Physicians' Prescribing PatternsUK Clinical Trials Gateway, 10 January 2012
Assessment of SpondyloArthritis Society (ASAS) Classification and Diagnostic Criteria for Early Axial Spondyloarthritis (SpA)UK Clinical Trials Gateway, 18 May 2006
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Evidence Uncertainty FeedbackThe most relevant search results for Ankylosing Spondylitis, highlighting areas where further research is needed.
Pain management for inflammatory arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and other spondylarthritis) and gastrointestinal or liver comorbidityUK Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments, 26 January 2012
- UK Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments, 04 March 2013
- UK Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments, 07 April 2010
Studies to examine whether ankylosing spondylitis responds to more than one TNF-Î± inhibitor given sequentially.National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 01 May 2008
Combination therapy for pain management in inflammatory arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, other spondyloarthritis)UK Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments, 14 November 2011
The collection of data through a register of people with ankylosing spondylitis receiving TNF-Î± inhibitor treatment in England and Wales will be essential to...National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 01 May 2008
Studies to investigate the long-term effects of TNF-Î± inhibitors in people with ankylosing spondylitis, including their effects on disease activity, functional...National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 01 May 2008
Safety of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including aspirin and paracetamol (acetaminophen) in people receiving methotrexate for inflammatory arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, other spondyloarthritis)UK Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments, 30 November 2011
- UK Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments, 01 April 2009
Studies to establish the appropriate duration and pattern of long-term treatment with TNF-Î± inhibitors.National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 01 May 2008
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Medicines FeedbackAppropriate medicines information for Ankylosing Spondylitis supplied by Datapharm, a leading source of trusted, credible information about medicines.
Ankylosing spondylitis - Medicines Information
- Anadin Ibuprofen (a brand of Ibuprofen)
- Anadin Paracetamol (a brand of Paracetamol)
- Brufen (a brand of Ibuprofen)
- Celebrex (a brand of Celecoxib)
- Cuprofen (a brand of Ibuprofen)
- Depo-medrone with Lidocaine (a brand of Lidocaine , a brand of Methylprednisolone Acetate)
- Dexomon (a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
- Diclofenac sodium
- Dicloflex (a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
- Diclomax (a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
- Econac (a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
- Etoricoxib (a generic version of Arcoxia)
- Feldene (a brand of Piroxicam)
- Flurbiprofen (a generic version of Froben)
- Humira (a brand of Adalimumab)
- Hydrocortisone acetate
- Hydrocortistab (a brand of Hydrocortisone Acetate)
- Indolar (a brand of Indometacin)
- Ketocid (a brand of Ketoprofen)
- Ketovail (a brand of Ketoprofen)
- Lidocaine/Methylprednisolone acetate
- Medrone (a brand of Methylprednisolone)
- Methylprednisolone acetate (a generic version of Depo-Medrone)
- Motifene (a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
- Nurofen (a brand of Ibuprofen)
- Pardelprin (a brand of Indometacin)
- Preservex (a brand of Aceclofenac)
- Tiaprofenic Acid
- Tylex (a brand of Codeine , a brand of Paracetamol)
- Voltarol (a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
- Voltarol Dispersible (a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
- Voltarol Rapid (a brand of Diclofenac Potassium)
- Results are currently sorted by relevance (Sort results by: date)
- Results 1 - 10 (of 1094)
...Golimumab for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis This guidance was developed...Golimumab for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis Ordering information...treatment of severe, active ankylosing spondylitis in adults only if: it is...
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 24 August 2011 - Publisher: NICE - Publication type: Full Guidance
...Clinical Topic A-Z Clinical Speciality Ankylosing spondylitis Ankylosing spondylitis D013167Spondylitis, Ankylosing Musculoskeletal...02-01Last revised in February 2013 Ankylosing spondylitis - Summary Ankylosing spondylitis is...
Clinical Knowledge Summaries, 01 February 2013
...etanercept and infliximab for ankylosing spondylitis Issue date: May 2008...etanercept and infliximab for ankylosing spondylitis NICE technology appraisal...etanercept and infliximab for ankylosing spondylitis Ordering information...
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 28 May 2008 - Publisher: NICE - Publication type: Full Guidance
...content Methotrexate for ankylosing spondylitis Junmin Chen 1...Lin J. Methotrexate for ankylosing spondylitis. Cochrane Database of Systematic...Description of the condition Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis...
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 28 February 2013 - Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
...content Sulfasalazine for ankylosing spondylitis Junmin Chen 1...Liu C. Sulfasalazine for ankylosing spondylitis. Cochrane Database of Systematic...interest Index terms Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic inflammatory...
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 20 April 2005 - Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
...Physiotherapy interventions for ankylosing spondylitis Hanne Dagfinrud 1...Physiotherapy interventions for ankylosing spondylitis. Cochrane Database of Systematic...support Index terms Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic, progressive...
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 23 January 2008 - Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
...rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis...rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis...rheumatoid arthritis (RA), ankylosing spondylitis (AS), psoriatic arthritis...
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 05 October 2011 - Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
...checker Search Patient.co.uk Home Professional Reference Ankylosing Spondylitis Ankylosing Spondylitis Tweet Our resources on Ankylosing Spondylitis This article Article more Related Related more Support ...
Patient UK, 20 February 2012
...rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis...rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis...including rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis and...
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 09 November 2011 - Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
...recommendations for the management of ankylosing spondylitis J Zochling1, D van...recommendations for the management of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) as a combined effort...management of AS. AS, ankylosing spondylitis ASAS, ASsessment in...
10 March 2006 - Publisher: BMJ Group - Publication type: Guidance
Searches related to “Ankylosing Spondylitis”
- Areas of interest
Types of information
Select one or more of the 'type of information' options below to narrow your search
- Care Pathways(3)
- Commissioning Guides(3)
- Drug / Medicines Management(37)
- Drug Best Practice Guidance(28)
- Drug Costs(27)
- Drug Horizon Scanning(36)
- Drug Prescribing and Safety(189)
- Drug Regulatory and Marketing(21)
- Evidence Summaries(90)
- Health Technology Assessments(237)
- Known Uncertainties(10)
- Medicines Current Awareness(16)
- Ongoing Trials(25)
- Patient Information(100)
- Policy and Service Development(26)
- Primary Research(14)
- Quality Measures(1)
- Systematic Reviews(96)
Start typing a Source name to narrow your search, or select one or more from the A-Z list
- Agency for Health Research and Quality - AHRQ (2)
- Arthritis Care (6)
- Arthritis Research UK (11)
- British Association for Sexual Health and HIV - BASHH (1)
- British Association of Dermatologists - BAD (1)
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology - BCSH(1)
- British Lung Foundation - BLF(1)
- British National Formulary - BNF (28)
- British National Formulary for Children - BNFc (4)
- British Society for Rheumatology - BSR (4)
- British Society of Gastroenterology - BSG (1)
- British Thoracic Society - BTS (4)
- Bupa (3)
- CancerHelp UK (1)
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination Health Technology Assessments - CRD HTA (18)
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries - CKS (23)
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials(8)
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (47)
- College of Emergency Medicine - CEM(3)
- College of Optometrists (1)
- Crohns and Colitis UK(5)
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects - DARE (15)
- Department of Health Western Australia - Diagnostic Imaging Pathways(2)
- electronic Medicines Compendium - eMC (145)
- European Medicines Agency - EMA(30)
- Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership - HQIP (3)
- Healthtalkonline (8)
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency - MHRA(39)
- Midlands Therapeutics Review and Advisory Committee - MTRAC(2)
- National Horizon Scanning Centre - NHSC (24)
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence - NICE (45)
- National Prescribing Centre - NPC (6)
- National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society - NRAS(1)
- New Drugs Online - NDO (11)
- NHS Choices(4)
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database - NHS EED (15)
- NIHR Journals Library - Health Services and Delivery Research(1)
- NIHR Journals Library - Health Technology Assessment(201)
- Parkinson's UK(1)
- Patient UK(52)
- Public Health England(1)
- Royal College of Anaesthetists (2)
- Royal College of Nursing - RCN (4)
- Royal College of Pathologists - RCPATH (1)
- Royal College of Physicians of London - RCP (6)
- Royal College of Surgeons - RCS (1)
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network - SIGN (1)
- Scottish Medicines Consortium - SMC (14)
- UK Blood Transfusion and Tissue Transplantation Services - UKBTS(1)
- UK Clinical Trials Gateway - UKCTG(25)
- UK Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments - UK DUETS (6)
- US Food and Drug Administration - FDA(5)
- Welsh Medicines Resource Centre - WeMeReC(2)
- World Gastroenterology Organisation - WGO(1)
Medicines and devices
Start typing a Medicine or device name to narrow your search, or select one or more from the A-Z list
- Alendronic acid(1)
- Aluminium hydroxide(2)
- Aminosalicylic acid(2)
- Aspirin + paracetamol(4)
- Calcium carbonate(2)
- Certolizumab pegol(19)
- Coal tar(3)
- Diclofenac potassium(6)
- Diclofenac sodium(27)
- Fish oil(3)
- Folic acid(2)
- Fumaric acid(2)
- Fusidic acid(1)
- Glucosamine hydrochloride(2)
- Glucosamine sulfate(2)
- Glyceryl trinitrate(1)
- Influenza vaccine(3)
- Insulin degludec(1)
- Interferon beta-1a(2)
- Ketoprofen + omeprazole(2)
- Magnesium trisilicate(2)
- Mefenamic acid(5)
- Methylprednisolone acetate(2)
- Mycophenolate mofetil(2)
- Naproxen + esomeprazole(4)
- Olive oil(1)
- Paracetamol + ibuprofen(2)
- Parathyroid hormone(4)
- Piroxicam betadex(2)
- Pneumococcal vaccine(2)
- Salicylic acid(3)
- Sodium benzoate(2)
- Sodium bicarbonate(3)
- Strontium ranelate(14)
- Tiaprofenic acid(7)
- Valproic acid(2)
- Varicella vaccine(2)
- Zoledronic acid(3)