This project was a follow-up to the earlier study of the establishment of nurse, midwife and health visitor consultants. Six key aims were to:
- explore the impact of the role on patient care and related outcome
- assess how far consultants are leaders
- test the job innovation model developed in the first study
- examine how consultants are 'crafting' the role to ensure that it remains manageable
- determine whether early role experiences predict later performance, motivation, commitment and other attitudes and behaviour of consultants
- explore the ‘systems’ implications of the consultant role in terms of its impact on the supply of high quality nurses, midwives and health visitors and on the careers of consultants.