Medication in extra care housing

SCIE Social Care Online
Care Services Improvement Partnership. Housing Learning and Improvement Network
Publication date:
01 January 2008


The handling of medicines in Extra Care Housing (ECH) can be difficult to manage because of a lack of guidance relating specifically to this particular environment. Care homes are completely different from extra care housing. A comparable model of care is a domiciliary care agency. If personal care is provided within an ECH scheme, this must be provided by a registered provider, hence the Care Standards Act 2000, National Minimum Standards for Domiciliary Care and the Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) published guidance are all relevant. Any support with medication should incorporate the principles of safe practice set out in the guidance published by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain ‘The Handling of Medicines in Social Care’. This factsheet is aimed at practitioners, commissioners, care services managers and housing managers in extra care housing, an environment not specifically referred to in any guidance on the handling of medicines.