[PDF] Commissioning guide: paediatric emergency appendicectomy

Royal College of Surgeons - RCS
Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS)
Publication date:
15 January 2015


Annually in England around 12,000 emergency appendicectomies are performed in children under 18 years of age. The majority, 80%, are admitted and managed at District General Hospitals, the remaining 20% being admitted to Specialised Paediatric Units.  Many other children present acutely with non-specific abdominal pain requiring in-patient assessment, outnumbering those with acute appendicitis by a ratio of 4:1.  

This guide is not intended as a comprehensive guide for the management of paediatric patients presenting with abdominal pain.