- Royal College of Physicians of London - RCP
- Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
- Publication date:
- 29 January 2019
The RCP Health Informatics Unit (HIU) has developed a learning resource to support the development of effective discharge summaries.
Trainees completing this training package will be able to achieve the following outcomes:
- understand who the recipients of e-discharge summaries are, how they use the discharge summary and the information that they need
- describe the purpose and importance of e-discharge summaries
- be familiar with the national PRSB e-discharge summary standard headings and understand the information that is appropriate to record under each heading
- gain confidence in writing quality discharge summaries that are useful to all recipients
- write the details in e-discharge summaries with clarity and to an appropriate level of detail
- identify and discuss good and bad points of completed e-discharge summaries with multi-professional colleagues
- obtain take-away materials to provide ongoing support when writing e-discharge summaries.