- British Thoracic Society - BTS
- British Thoracic Society (BTS)
- Publication date:
- 10 July 2013
This guideline was formulated following consultation with stakeholders from the medical and nursing professions, patient groups and healthcare management. Basic diagnostic procedures in adults using a flexible bronchoscope are included in the guideline.
Topics covered in the guideline
- Monitoring of a patient during the procedure.
- Specific precautions, contraindications and complications.
- Sedation, premedication and topical anaesthesia.
- FB in specific patient groups.
- Role of bronchoscopy in infections.
- FB in the ICU.
- Cleaning and disinfection of equipment.
- Staffing and staff safety.
- Diagnostic accuracy and specific procedures.
- Patient satisfaction and patient care.
Topics not covered in the guideline
- Training in bronchoscopy (The BTS is producing separate guidance on training).
- Advanced diagnostic and therapeutic FB.3 Rigid bronchoscopy.
- FB used for intubation, percutaneous tracheostomy placements and intraoperative complications.
- Paediatric FB.
- FB performed under general anaesthetic.