Changes since 2011 guideline
• First line empirical treatment is now monotherapy with ceftriaxone 1g intramuscularly
• If antimicrobial susceptibility test results from all sites of infection are available prior to treatment
and the isolate is sensitive to ciprofloxacin, then this should be used for treatment in preference
• Inclusion of testing recommendations in people following genital reconstructive surgery
• Recommendations for extra-genital testing in those with suspected or confirmed antimicrobial
• Epidemiological treatment is recommended only for those presenting within 14 days of exposure.
For those presenting after 14 days of exposure we recommend treatment based on the results of