This guideline covers prescribing of cannabis-based medicinal products for people with intractable nausea and vomiting, chronic pain, spasticity and severe treatment-resistant epilepsy.
NICE has published technology appraisal guidance on cannabidiol with clobazam for treating seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
Products covered by the guideline include:
- cannabis-based products for medicinal use as set out by the UK Government in the 2018 Regulations
- the licensed products delta-9-tetrahydrocannibinol combined with cannabidiol (Sativex) and nabilone
- plant-derived cannabinoids such as pure cannabidiol (CBD)
- synthetic compounds which are identical in structure to naturally occurring cannabinoids such as delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), for example, dronabinol.
Who is it for?
- Healthcare professionals
- People taking cannabis-based medicinal products, their families and carers
Guideline development process
How we develop NICE guidelines